Are there STEM Comics for Elementary?
As educators begin to embrace comic books, graphic novels and other aspects of pop-culture as teaching tools, we often get the question about whether any of these materials are useful for teaching STEM. The answer is YES!
We’ve put together three articles, with lists of comics that fit STEM requirements for elementary level, mid-level and high school level learners. This is the first, our elementary list.
Many of these recommendations were made with the help of other educators and comics enthusiasts.
Believe it or not, the two often overlap. 🙂
Please let us know if these are useful to you! And as always, don’t forget to subscribe to our site for more info (in the top right of this window).
Science Comics Series
- Laika (https://www.nickabadzis.com/laika-graphic-novel/)
- Feynman (https://us.macmillan.com/feynman/jimottaviani/9781596438279/)
- Primates (https://www.amazon.com/Primates-Fearless-Science-Goodall-Galdikas/dp/1596438657)
- Tetris (https://us.macmillan.com/tetris/boxbrown/9781626723153/)
- Secret Coders Series (http://www.secret-coders.com/buy-the-books/)
- Castle in the Stars (https://www.tor.com/2017/09/07/comic-excerpts-alex-alice-castle-in-the-stars/)
- Astronaut Academy (http://www.astronautacademy.com/)
Elementary Level Science Comics
- First in Space (James) (http://secure.onipress.com/title/first-in-space)
- HOWTOONS (Dragotta et al) (https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/howtoons)
- Human Body Theater (Wicks) (https://us.macmillan.com/humanbodytheater/mariswicks/9781596439290/)
- Inventions and Discovery Series (http://www.capstonepub.com/library/products/inventions-and-discovery-1/)
- MAX AXIOM Series (http://www.capstonepub.com/library/products/decoding-genes-with-max-axiom-super-scientist-2/)
- Professor Astro Cat’s Frontiers of Space (http://nobrow.net/shop/professor-astro-cats-frontiers-of-space/)
- The Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook (https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/the-secret-science-alliance-and-the-copycat-crook-9781599903965/)
- World Book Building Blocks of Science Series (https://www.worldbook.com/products/building-blocks-of-science-books)
- Zig and Wikki in Something Ate My Homework (Spiegelman, Loeffler) (http://www.toon-books.com/zig-and-wikki-in-something-ate-my-homework.html)
Elementary Level Tech, Engineering and Math Comics
- Babymouse (https://www.randomhouse.com/kids/babymouse/homepage.htm)
- Dragonslayer (Holm & Holm) (https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/82049/babymouse-11-dragonslayer-by-jennifer-l-holm-and-matthew-holm/9780375957123/teachers-guide)
- Beast Academy Series (https://beastacademy.com/books)
- Math Games (Jung, Chung) (https://www.amazon.com/Math-Game-Graphic-Novels/dp/981052238X)
- Math Manga Mysteries (Thielbar) (https://www.amazon.com/Manga-Math-Mysteries-Mystery-Temperature/dp/0761352465)
- Secret Coders (Yang, Holmes) (http://www.secret-coders.com/buy-the-books/)
- World Book Building Blocks of Mathematics Series (https://www.worldbook.com/products/building-blocks-of-science-books)